Workers re-purposing of the old Peterborough jail have uncovered a time capsule from 1864.
After a search for clues in old records, the time capsule, a glass jar, was found under the corner stone of jail which was laid in 1864. Conservation specialist Basia Baklinski carried the artifact into the nearby county council chambers and carefully opened it in front of area dignitaries. The time capsule contained photographs, coins and copies of contemporary newspapers. Peterborough MPP Jeff Leal joked about the headline on one of the papers.