(Updated) Firefighters save dog from south-end kitchen fire

Peterborough, ON, Canada / (CHEXTV)
(Updated) Firefighters save dog from south-end kitchen fire

Some dramatic moments in Peterborough just around the dinner hour, as a kitchen fire ravaged a south end home.

Fire crews were called to a grease fire that started just after 5 o’clock on King George Street.

A woman was cooking on the stove when the flames broke out. When firefighters arrived, large plumes of smoke were visible.

The tenant downstairs and the woman upstairs were able to get out safely but a family dog was left behind and unconscious under a bed. Fire crews found the dog and administered oxygen to the canine and returned him to the owner.

Peterborough Fire Rescue say the suspected cause is unattended cooking, noting there were operational smoke alarms present which alerted the occupants.

The Peterborough City-County Disaster Trust attended providing occupants with lodging.

Damage is estimated to be a total of $130,000 to the structure and contents:

Comments are closed.

Top Stories This Week