THE MERRETT HOME HARDWARE® BUILDING CENTRE SPORTS SCRAMBLE CONTEST RULES
THE MERRETT HOME HARDWARE® BUILDING CENTRE SPORTS SCRAMBLE CONTEST (THE “CONTEST”) IS INTENDED TO BE CONDUCTED IN THE PROVINCE OF ONTARIO ONLY AND SHALL BE CONSTRUED AND EVALUATED ACCORDING TO APPLICABLE CANADIAN LAW. NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY. PARTICIPANTS MUST BE OF THE AGE OF MAJORITY IN THE PROVINCE OF ONTARIO OR OLDER AT THE TIME OF ENTRY. VOID IN WHOLE OR IN PART WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. ENTRY IN THIS CONTEST CONSTITUTES ACCEPTANCE OF THESE CONTEST RULES (THE “CONTEST RULES”).
1. ELIGIBILITY. To be eligible for this Contest, an individual must be a legal resident of, and the age of majority in, the province of Ontario.
Employees of 591987 B.C. Ltd. d.b.a. CHEX-TV, Corus Media Sales Inc. and its affiliates, subsidiaries, related companies, successors and assigns (collectively “Corus”), Merrett Home Hardware Building Centre, and its affiliates, subsidiaries, related companies, successors and assigns (collectively “Merrett” and together with Corus, the “Sponsors”), advertising and promotional agencies, any person who has been confirmed as a winner of two (2) Corus administered contests within six (6) months preceding the Contest start date indicated below and/or the household members of any of the above are not eligible to enter.
The Sponsors shall have the right at any time to require proof of identity and/or eligibility to participate in the Contest. Failure to provide such proof may result in disqualification. All personal and other information requested by and supplied to the Sponsors for the purpose of the Contest must be truthful, complete, accurate and in no way misleading. The Sponsors reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to disqualify any entrant should such an entrant at any stage supply untruthful, incomplete, inaccurate or misleading personal details and/or information.
2. CONTEST PERIOD. The Contest begins at 10:00 a.m. Eastern Time (“ET”) on Monday, March 6, 2017 and ends at 5:00 p.m. ET on Sunday April 2, 2017 (the “Contest Period”) after which time the Contest will be closed and no other entries shall be accepted.
3. HOW TO ENTER.
(a) There is no purchase necessary to enter the Contest. To enter, tune in to the 6:00 p.m. ET CHEX News Sports program (the “Show”) airing on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday each week during the Contest Period from March 6, 2017 until March 31, 2017. During the Show, watch for the scrambled letters to be revealed which, when unscrambled, will display the name of a Peterborough Petes hockey player (the “Athlete”). Viewers will be asked to unscramble the letters to identify a different Athlete each week during the Contest Period. There will be one (1) correct answer per week.
(b) Once you’ve unscrambled the letters to determine the Athlete, complete a Contest ballot in person at the Merrett Home Hardware (located at 1460 Lansdowne Street West, Peterborough, Ontario K9J 2A2) prior to 4:59 p.m. ET on the Sunday of each week during the Contest Period. No entries will be accepted at the Station’s studio or online. The Athlete’s name provided on the ballot must be correct in order to be eligible for entry into the Contest.
(c) Limit of one (1) entry per person, per day during the Contest Period. In the case of multiple entries, only the first eligible entry will be considered.
(d) All entries become the sole property of the Sponsors and will not be returned for any reason. Entries must be received no later than the end of the Contest Period. Entries will be declared invalid if they are late, illegible, incomplete, damaged, irregular, mutilated, forged, garbled or mechanically or electronically reproduced. Unless otherwise set out herein, no communication or correspondence will be exchanged with entrants except with those selected as a potential winner.
(a) Weekly Prizes. There are four (4) Weekly prizes (“Weekly Prizes”) available to be won by the Weekly Prize winners (the “Weekly Prize Winners”) consisting of a Merrett Home Hardware gift certificate in the amount of one hundred Canadian dollars (CDN $100.00).
(b) Grand Prize. There is one (1) grand prize (the “Grand Prize”) available to be won by the Grand Prize winner (the “Grand Prize Winner”) consisting of a Merrett Home Hardware gift certificate in the amount of two thousand Canadian dollars (CDN $2,000.00).
5. PRIZE CONDITIONS.
(a) Limit of one (1) Weekly Prize per household.
(b) Grand Prize and Weekly Prizes are hereafter collectively referred to as “Prize” or “Prizes”. Grand Prize Winner and Weekly Prize Winners are hereafter collectively referred to as a “Winner” or “Winners”.
(c) Winners are not entitled to monetary difference between actual Prize value and stated approximate Prize value, if any.
(d) Winners must pick up their Prize during regular business hours (8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. ET) Monday – Friday at the CHEX studio located at 743 Monaghan Road, Peterborough, Ontario within thirty (30) days of winning the Prize after which time, if the Winner has not claimed their Prize, they will be disqualified and will not receive a Prize.
(e) The Prizes can only be redeemed at the Merrett Home Hardware Building Centre location and are subject to any terms indicated on the gift certificate and/or the designated retailer.
(f) Prizes must be redeemed prior to December 31, 2017 after which they will be null and void.
(g) Winners will be responsible for any expense not explicitly included in the Prize including but not limited to any excess costs above and beyond the value of the Prize.
(h) The terms by which the gift certificates may be redeemed are governed by the individual retailer. Neither the Station nor Corus Entertainment Inc. is responsible for administering or ensuring compliance with the terms and conditions relating to the gift certificates.
(i) Prizes must be accepted as awarded and cannot be transferred, assigned, substituted or redeemed for cash, except at the sole discretion of the Sponsors. Any unused, unclaimed or declined portion of a Prize will be forfeited, have no cash value and the Sponsors shall have no obligation to provide either an alternative or value-in-kind. The Sponsors reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to substitute a prize of equal or greater value if a Prize (or any portion thereof) cannot be awarded for any reason.
(j) Shipped Prizes shall not be insured and the Sponsors shall not assume any liability for lost, damaged or misdirected Prizes.
6. WINNER SELECTION.
(a) Four (4) Weekly Prize Winners shall be selected as follows:
(i) On each of March 13, 2017, March 20, 2017, March 27, 2017 and April 3, 2017 at 3:30 p.m. ET, in Peterborough, ON, one (1) entrant will be randomly selected as a potential winner of a Weekly Prize from the pool of eligible entries received for that week prior to 4:59 p.m. ET on the preceding Sunday, as described below. Only one (1) Weekly Prize will be awarded per household.
(ii) On April 3, 2017, at approximately 4:30 p.m. ET, following the draw of that week’s Weekly Prize winner, one (1) entrant will be randomly selected from the pool of eligible entries received during the Contest Period as the potential winner of the Grand Prize, as described below.
(b) Weekly Prize Winners are eligible to win the Grand Prize. The odds of being selected as a potential winner are dependent upon the number of eligible entries received by the Sponsors. Before being declared a Winner, the selected entrant shall be required to correctly answer, without assistance of any kind, whether mechanical or otherwise, a time-limited, mathematical skill-testing question to be administered during a pre-arranged telephone call or by e-mail, to comply with the Contest Rules and sign and return the Release (described below).
(c) EACH SELECTED ENTRANT WILL BE NOTIFIED BY TELEPHONE NO LATER THAN 5:00 P.M ET ON THE DATE THEIR NAME WAS SELECTED AND MUST RESPOND WITHIN ONE (1) BUSINESS DAY OF NOTIFICATION. Upon notification, the selected entrant must respond by telephone or e-mail (as specified in the notification) to the contact number or e-mail address provided no later than the indicated deadline set out in the Contest Rules and/or the notification. If the selected entrant does not respond accordingly, he/she will be disqualified and will not receive a Prize and another entrant may be selected in the Sponsors’ sole discretion until such time as an entrant satisfies the terms set out herein. The Sponsors are not responsible for the failure for any reason whatsoever of a selected entrant to receive notification or for the Sponsors to receive a selected entrant’s response.
(d) If, as a result of an error relating to the entry process, drawing or any other aspect of the Contest, there are more selected entrants than contemplated in these Contest Rules, there will be a random draw amongst all eligible Prize claimants after the Contest’s closing date to award the correct number of Prizes.
7. RELEASE. Winner will be required to execute a legal agreement and release (“Release”) that confirms Winner’s: (i) eligibility for the Contest and compliance with these Contest Rules; (ii) acceptance of the Prize as offered; (iii) release of each of the Sponsors and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates and/or related companies and each of their employees, directors, officers, suppliers, agents, sponsors, administrators, licensees, representatives, advertising, media buying and promotional agencies (collectively, the “Releasees”) from any and all liability for any loss, harm, damages, cost or expense arising out of participation in the Contest, participation in any Contest-related activity or the acceptance, use, or misuse of any Prize, including but not limited to costs, injuries, losses related to personal injuries, death, damage to, loss or destruction of property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation, or portrayal in a false light, or from any and all claims of third parties arising therefrom; and (iv) grant to the Sponsors of the unrestricted right, in the Sponsors’ collective or individual discretion, to produce, reproduce, display, publish, convert, post, serve, broadcast, communicate by telecommunication, exhibit, distribute, adapt and otherwise use or re-use the Winner’s name, statements, image, likeness, voice and biography in any and all media now known or hereafter devised, in connection with the Contest and the promotion and exploitation thereof. The executed Release must be returned within two (2) business days of the date indicated on the accompanying letter of notification or the verification as a Winner or the selected entrant will be disqualified and the Prize forfeited.
8. INDEMNIFICATION BY ENTRANT. By entering the Contest, each entrant releases and holds Releasees harmless from any and all liability for any injuries, loss or damage of any kind to the entrant or any other person, including personal injury, death, or property damage, resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from: (a) their participation in the Contest or any Contest-related activity; (b) the acceptance, use, or misuse of any Prize; or (c) any breach of the Contest Rules. Each entrant agrees to fully indemnify Releasees from any and all claims by third parties relating to the entrant’s participation in the Contest, without limitation.
9. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. The Sponsors assume no responsibility or liability for lost, late, unintelligible/illegible, falsified, damaged, misdirected or incomplete entries, notifications, responses, replies or any Release, or for any telephone, hardware or technical malfunctions that may occur, including but not limited to malfunctions that may affect the transmission or non-transmission of an entry. The Sponsors are not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest or by any technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the Contest. The Sponsors assume no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries. The Sponsors assume no responsibility or liability in the event that the Contest cannot be conducted as planned for any reason, including those reasons beyond the control of the Sponsors, such as tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or corruption of the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Contest.
10. CONDUCT. By participating in the Contest, each entrant is deemed to have executed and agrees to be bound by the Contest Rules, which will be posted at www.chextv.com (the “Contest Website”) and made available at the Ballot Entry Location and at the CHEX TV studio located at 743 Monaghan Road, Peterborough, Ontario, K9J 5K2 during regular business hours throughout the Contest Period. Each entrant further agrees to be bound by the decisions of the Sponsors which shall be final and binding in all respects. The Sponsors reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to disqualify any entrant found to be: (a) violating the Contest Rules; (b) tampering or attempting to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Contest and/or the Contest Website or any related promotional website; (c) violating the terms of service, conditions of use and/or general rules or guidelines of any Corus property or service; and/or (d) acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass the Sponsors or any other person. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE THE BALLOT BOX, THE CONTEST WEBSITE, OR ANY RELATED WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS. SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE SPONSORS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SEEK REMEDIES AND DAMAGES TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO CRIMINAL PROSECUTION.
11. PRIVACY / USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION.
(a) By participating in the Contest, each entrant: (i) grants to the Sponsors the right to use his/her name, mailing address, age range, telephone number and/or e-mail address (collectively the “Personal Information”) for the purpose of administering the Contest, including but not limited to contacting and announcing the Winners and coordinating the provision of the Prizes; (ii) grants to the Sponsors the right to use his/her Personal Information for publicity and promotional purposes relating to the Contest, in any and all media now known or hereafter devised, without further compensation unless prohibited by law; and (iii) acknowledges that the Sponsors may disclose his/her Personal Information to third-party agents and service providers of any of the Sponsors in connection with any of the activities listed in (i) and (ii) above.
12. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. All intellectual property, including but not limited to trade-marks, trade names, logos, designs, promotional materials, web pages, source code, drawings, illustrations, slogans and representations is owned by the Sponsors and/or their affiliates. All rights are reserved. Unauthorized copying or use of any copyrighted material or intellectual property without the express written consent of its owner is strictly prohibited.
13. TERMINATION. The Sponsors reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to terminate the Contest, in whole or in part, and/or modify, amend or suspend the Contest, and/or the Contest Rules in any way, at any time, for any reason without prior notice.
14. LAW. These are the official Contest Rules. The Contest is subject to applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws and regulations. The Contest Rules are subject to change without notice in order to comply with any applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws or the policy of any other entity having jurisdiction over the Sponsors. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of the Contest Rules or the rights and obligations as between the entrant and the Sponsors in connection with the Contest shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the province of Ontario without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions that would cause the application of any other jurisdiction’s laws.
15. DISCREPANCY. In the event of any discrepancy or inconsistency between the terms and conditions of the Contest Rules and disclosures or other statements contained in any Contest-related materials, including but not limited to the Contest entry form, or point of sale, television, print or online advertising, the terms and conditions of the Contest Rules shall prevail, govern and control.
16. SOCIAL MEDIA. This Contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by any social media platforms on which the Contest may have been promoted and/or publicized, including but not limited to Facebook and/or Twitter. Any personal information provided in connection with the Contest is being provided to Corus and any questions, comments or complaints regarding the Contest must be directed to Corus.