Lindsay-based band The Strumbellas are once again among the finalist for SOCAN Songwriter Prize, a comptition that celebrates Canadian songwriters.
The band was nominated for their single “We Don’t Know” with a chance to earn the title and a $10,000 prize.
The 12th annual SOCAN Songwriting Prize competition recognizes excellence in songwriting across the country, in both English and French.
“We Don’t Know ” was written by Jeremy Drury, Jonathan Hembrey, Darryl James, Brian Pickett, David Ritter, Isabel Ritchie, Joanne Setterington; performed by The Strumbellas; published by Domino Music Publishing.
For two weeks, from June 15-29, SOCAN invites music fans to vote for their favourite song from the nominees by visiting www.socansongwritingprize.ca or through Twitter using the hashtag #mySSPvote and identifying the performer’s name in the tweet.
Fans can vote once daily through each platform for each of the English and French prize competitions.
The winning songs are scheduled to be announced the week of July 10.
Winners will receive $10,000 in cash, an Epiphone Masterbilt Century Olympic Guitar, a Yamaha PSR-S970 keyboard, and a $500 gift card from Long & McQuade
Other finalist in the English songs category include:
• “Acid Test” – written by Tommy Paxton-Beesley, Thadeus Gardwood, Johnathan Mavrogiannis, Dan Voicu; performed by River Tiber; published by Raise Your Hands Music [Arts & Crafts Music].
• “Big Boy” – written by Charlotte Cardin; performed by Charlotte Cardin.
• “DVP” – written by Stefan Babcock, Nestor Chumak, Zachary Mykula, Steve Sladkowski;performed by PUP.
• “Figures” – written by Jessie Reyez, Bjoran Johan, Tobias Frelin, Blake Carter; performed by Jessie Reyez; published by BMG Rights Management.
• “Glowed Up” – written by Kevin Celestin, Brandon Anderson; performed by Kaytranada featuring Anderson .Paak; published by Watch and Learn/BMI, PULSE, Casablanca Publishing.
• “Push + Pull” – written by Thomas D’Arcy, Ian Docherty, Peter Dreimanis, Leah Goldstein, Danny Miles, Josh Warburton; performed by July Talk; published by July Talk Music Inc., GalleryAC Music.
• “S—hole” – written by Jasmyn Burke, Morgan Waters; performed by Weaves.
• “Won’t Live Here ” – written by Ashton Simmonds, Jordan Evans, Matthew Burnett, Tommy Paxton-Beesley, Ian Culley, Alexander Ernewein; performed by Daniel Caesar; published by Kobalt Music Publishing & Raise Your Hands Music [Arts & Crafts Music].
• “Work” – written by Charlotte Day Wilson; performed by Charlotte Day Wilson; published by Raise Your Hands Music [Arts & Crafts Music]
“SOCAN supports emerging Canadian songwriters and composers every day, and the SOCAN Songwriting Prize celebrates the incredible and diverse talent of several of our best,” stated Mike McCarty, chief membership & business development officer at SOCAN. “Each year, the nominees raise the bar, and this year is no different. No matter who wins, I am confident all of these potential superstars will continue to grow and flourish in the music community.”
The French and English finalists are determined by respective independent panels of 15 music-industry influencers who nominate two songs that they feel were artistically superior by emerging Canadian songwriters, within the eligibility period. All of the nominated songs are then compiled, reviewed and voted on by each panel to determine the final 10 nominees in each category.
SOCAN does not have a role in determining nominees or winners.
“We Don’t Know” video from YouTube via TheStrumbellasVevo: