Northumberland OPP briefs:
– A resident on Richmond St Brighton reported her mailbox damaged and mail thrown in the ditch.
– At approximately 7:00 p.m. an officer stopped a red Toyota for speeding on County Rd 45 in Trent Hills. The driver, who had been drinking, was arrested and taken to the Campbellford Detachment for further tests. Mathew Wayne Graham, 35, of Oshawa, is charged with Impaired Care & Control of a motor vehicle and Care & Control of a motor vehicle while his blood alcohol content exceeded 80mg of alcohol in 100ml of blood. He was released and is scheduled to appear at the Ontario Court of Justice in Cobourg on July 5.
– At approximately 6 p.m. two vehicles were reportedly traveling westbound on County Rd 2 west of Cobourg. The first driver advised police that he felt he was being tailgated. When both cars were stopped at the lights at Hamilton Rd, he exited his car, approached the driver behind him and punched him in the face through the open window. Police identified the man and attended his residence where he was charged with Assault. Travis Moran, 35, Port Hope, is scheduled to appear at the Ontario Court of Justice in Cobourg on June 26.
– Police are investigating an assault complaint that occurred at a prom field party attended by approximately 300 people in Salem on County Rd 2 in Cramahe Twp. The victim was transported to a nearby hospital with multiple injuries that are not considered life threatening. Investigation ongoing.
– Officers located four youths who were reportedly lying in the middle of Bridge St East in Campbellford at 4:48 a.m. All were cautioned and sent home.
– A seasonal property owner on Bowmanton Rd near Beavermeadow Rd in Alnwick-Haldimand Twp reported his cottage broken in to sometime over the past week. Entry was gained by removing a rear sliding door. Nothing was apparently taken. Investigation ongoing.
– At 2:04 a.m. a westbound VW Jetta reported striking a bear on Hwy 401 in the Brighton area. The car had extensive damages and all airbags deployed but the driver, a Frankford area man, was uninjured. The bear was located deceased on the shoulder of the highway by officers.
– Police responded to a domestic disturbance at a Brighton home resulting in one partner being arrested and charged with Spousal Assault. Three additional charges of Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm were also laid and the firearms were seized. The male was held for a bail hearing scheduled for June 12. He was subsequently released and faces an impending court date in July. Name withheld to protect the identity of the victim.
– A Subaru Forester reported stolen from a County Rd 24 address in Percy Twp sometime overnight was recovered in Deseronto the next day. Investigation ongoing.
– Police responded to a report of a tractor-trailer weaving outside of its lane while traveling westbound on Hwy 401 in the Port Hope area at 8:40 a.m. An officer located the driver and charged the 38-year-old Brampton man with Fail to drive in marked lane contrary to the Highway Traffic Act.
OPP officers also investigated two accidental 9-1-1 calls, 13 motor vehicle collisions, 38 traffic-related complaints and conducted eight RIDE programs over the weekend.